Author Topic: Serious trouble for HGL and Flagship ..  (Read 6355 times)

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
Serious trouble for HGL and Flagship ..
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39851/Hellgate-Developers-Made-Redundant-Korean-Distributor-Takes-Control

I'm really sorry for you guys, I hope the current SP world is stable enough, shame to hear they never fixed the end game.  also sucks hearing mn4nu just subbed ..  esp after reading this

Update #2: Subscription options have been removed from account areas, as has the ability to unsubscribe. On the forums, the lock-happy mods have yet to touch a fifty-seven page complaints thread that has spiralled out of control since the news regarding redundancies was released.

ouch .. just ouch

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Serious trouble for HGL and Flagship ..
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
The biggest "ouch" would be for all the suckers unlucky folks who paid $150 for a lifetime sub...

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:57:47 AM »
time to learn korean ..

"Comerica now owns the Hellgate: London rights through a similar loan agreement, and will likely continue Asian development with HanbitSoft. As for English-language releases of the two games, it is possible that the Asian companies would continue development, though in the case of Hellgate: London it is unlikely"

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »
I went to see if I can unsubscribe and I can find any subscription information on their site.  A couple weeks back I changed my subscription from 6 months to one month.  But now I can seem to see any info on that in the site anywhere.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:32:59 AM »
Servers down?

I can't log into MP.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:49 AM »
Servers down?

I can't log into MP.

Wouldn't surprise me, since as of today, Flagship and Ping0 are officially dead with all employees let go and offices closed, etc.

EDIT: Or maybe not? Seems the sources for that article are in question.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:46:47 AM by Luchaire »

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »
I just logged into multiplayer with no problems.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »
Confirmed elsewhere:
http://www.diii.net/n/672129/flagship-studios-closing

Update: And it's done. We have received inside confirmation that everyone has been laid off and the studio is closing. :-(

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »
Except it's still quoting the same questionable sources.

Don't get me wrong, there's definately something gonig on, but I think there's a lot of premature speculation going on right now. I just played for over and hour and it was fine.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

mn4nu

• Mal
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
I played for about 2-3 hrs today alone.  I feel I already got my $10 worth.  This sucks.  Why'd they have to destroy such a potentially good game?

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Why'd they have to destroy such a potentially good game?

I'm fairly sure that 9 months after release, it shouldn't be a "potentially good game." It either is one or it isn't. You don't wait a year or so for "potential" to be realized in the gaming industry.

It was FUBAR from the start and FSS never got a handle on it.

Yes, it had potential that was never reached (and never will be, regardless of how the current events play out), and yes it was fun for a while, but as a product it was a failure of epic proportions.

And "I just played for X hours and it was fine" doesn't mean squat. Just because the servers are running on autopilot this weekend doesn't mean the building isn't vacant and come Monday somebody isn't coming in to flip the Final Switch.

I'm more concerned about the fact that it's currently impossible to cancel a sub...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:24:49 AM by Luchaire »

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
Guess it's all officially official and stuff... Screenshots of the new Korean version of HGL (version 2.1) are already coming out...

CLICKY FOR PREVIEW!

;)

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »
yeah I said in some other thread one time about a similar company (Cavedog) which in that case got killed off by its parent company running out of $, the online servers DID keep going, but as soon as it crashed everyone that knew how to fix it wasn't there.

I am thinking the expectation they have put out that there prolly wont be english support will be a self fulfilling prophecy (as well as not being able to top up) and they are just waiting for accounts to run out), if you are a founder I expect it will get lonely v soon :(

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »
Well, if it's true, I won't feel bad about never paying for a sub to any game again. This will be the first and last time I did.

Somethingsin

• Amn
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
they might be closing down, but they're still hiring :P

http://www.flagshipstudios.com/careers
I love llamas

Wittgenstein is popularly credited with the idea that most philosophical controversies are due to confusions over language. I'm not sure how much credit to give him. I suspect a lot of people realized this, but reacted simply by not studying philosophy, rather than becoming philosophy professors. ~~Paul Graham