Author Topic: Pray, to whatever gods you worship!  (Read 1058 times)

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
Pray, to whatever gods you worship!
« on: April 18, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »
Howdy :)

I started a Neutral Evil Human Fighter today with hopes to become a Blackguard. I like Evil characters. Why? Perhaps it was because I was born on Friday the 13th. But really, it is just more fun to step out of the real world to rape and pillage things. Not that you can't do that in the real world, but the consequences are much more painful. Back to the purpose of this thread.

Blackguards have a prereq of Hide 5 ranks. This is kind of difficult for a Fighter to achieve. If I calculated it correctly, I will need to be level 13 before I hit 5 ranks :( And I want to begin raising undead, and raping and pillaging ASAP. So my solution to this would be at next level (he just got through the Prelude, so at Level 4) to take a level of Rogue, which would get me to 5 ranks. After which I would take 3 more levels of Fighter to get BAB of +6, and then finally Blackguard. Making this possible at character level 8: Fighter 6/Rogue 1/Blackguard 1. This is a big improvement from level 13, and if I am not mistaken, achievable by the end of Chapter 1.

I will go ahead and share Thyrus' spent stats and feats.

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 12(+1)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 15 (+2) ---> for the CHA bonus to save throws/Turn Undead

The only problem with this is I am not sure if the Blackguard spells is INT/CHA/WIS based. If it is Wisdom based I am going to have to resart him. Not really a big deal, only takes about 1/2 hour to get through the Prelude.

Feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Knockdown
Weapon Proficiency: Exotic (possibly a waste of a Feat but I like the feel of a Bastard Sword for this character)
Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword

So, is there any problem with my plan or is there a better way to build this guy? Any help, once again, would be much obliged.

Be gentle :wink:
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:39:38 PM »
Just wanted to say I have for some reason NEVER played a bad guy in any game. :shock:

Many times I have wanted to just to kill some NPCs that bug me, but I just don't have it in me.:)

Guess thats why I played Pallys in D2 and now Clerics in NWN although I am not a real relgious person, just I guess helpful and try to be anyway, nice.
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

BubbleTough

• Shael
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 02:43:09 PM »
That's strange GB, because I usually only play Evil characters :wink: Being evil doesn't neccessarily mean you kill all the NPC's though, for example I have a Lawful Evil Rogue. She doesn't kill NPC's (with the exception of other "evil" characters) but she certainly doesn't take any crap from no one 8)

When I first started NWN I created a Chaotic Evil Fighter, and made it to level 5 before I even started the quests in Chapter 1 :lol: FYI, Guards give good exp. . .

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Pray, to whatever gods you worship!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 02:58:09 PM »
Quote from: "BubbleTough"
Blackguards have a prereq of Hide 5 ranks. This is kind of difficult for a Fighter to achieve. If I calculated it correctly, I will need to be level 13 before I hit 5 ranks

Nope, you're wrong. You can put 2 ranks in at level 1, then one more every odd level, so at level 7 you'll have 5 ranks.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

lone_wolf

• Pul
  • Member of the Crystal Obsidian army
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 03:00:13 PM »
you remind me of a evil friend of mine, yes evil evil

he too likes to play evil chars. so much that he sold his own wife in fallout 2 for example :o

im like greybeard i cant play evil chars i tired i just end up making them turn good with of course dont work all to welll :roll:

hey i made viconia good trough cheat in BG  :P

yeah sue me :wink:

bubble i read a few things about blackguards on the bioware forums by now.

look for the posts about epic power chars (may be worded different im sleepy) but they talk about various ways to make power chars and to maximise multi class chars just like yours.

i think somebody named the same basic build you talked about :)
Currently playing what you see in my xfire profile

BubbleTough

• Shael
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 03:21:19 PM »
Quote from: "Luchaire"
Blackguards have a prereq of Hide 5 ranks. This is kind of difficult for a Fighter to achieve. If I calculated it correctly, I will need to be level 13 before I hit 5 ranks

Nope, you're wrong. You can put 2 ranks in at level 1, then one more every odd level, so at level 7 you'll have 5 ranks.

Are you sure Luch? This is what I thought too, but I am level 3 and have already invested 3 points into Hide, but my character screen shows Hide 0. I assumed Hide started off at -3, looking at another skill which had 0 points invested and had -3 to it. Meaning if I put one point in every other level from this point, I would have to be level 13.

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 04:41:26 PM »

Are you sure Luch? This is what I thought too, but I am level 3 and have already invested 3 points into Hide, but my character screen shows Hide 0. I assumed Hide started off at -3, looking at another skill which had 0 points invested and had -3 to it. Meaning if I put one point in every other level from this point, I would have to be level 13.

Heh, your character sheet probably shows 0 because hide is dex based and if you're wearing armor, that will reduce it. ;) Take off all your armor and shield, and you'll see your 3 ranks.

Trust me on this. Max ranks in a cross class skill is:

(level+1) / 2 + 1

Thus at level 7, you can have 5 ranks.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 05:30:38 PM »
Or it could just be (level+3)/2....... ;), which is how it's defined in D&D rulebooks.

I don't know if Blackguard's get any spells besides the spell-like abilities, but if they do, it would be Wisdom based, as all Divine spells are.  You can probably cast Bull's Strength/Contagion from the abilities just fine.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

BubbleTough

• Shael
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »

Heh, your character sheet probably shows 0 because hide is dex based and if you're wearing armor, that will reduce it. ;) Take off all your armor and shield, and you'll see your 3 ranks.

Trust me on this. Max ranks in a cross class skill is:

(level+1) / 2 + 1

Thus at level 7, you can have 5 ranks.

Well, that would make sense wouldn't it :lol:

Thanks Luch :dance:

max: The spells they can get are Bull's Strength, Inflict Serious Wounds, Contagion, and Inflict Critical Wounds. If these are Wisdom based should I've put more into it?

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »
I wouldn't know, there aren't any spell-like abilities in the original that aren't from items, and even then I usually have the prereq stat, even if it's not used.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 07:35:08 PM »
Quote from: "maxbeedo"
Or it could just be (level+3)/2....... ;), which is how it's defined in D&D rulebooks.

:trout: