Author Topic: General Queries  (Read 1541 times)

BubbleTough

• Shael
    • http://bubbletough.deviantart.com/
General Queries
« on: March 08, 2004, 07:43:15 PM »
New forum, new newbie questions 8)

1. How the hell does armor work? I know everything in the game fairly well, but armor I just do not understand. How does it work? How does it affect you? How does it affect dex? just give me the most mind-numbingly detailed response and I will be content :wink:

2. Any tips to beat that ugly spider in ch.1? It is kicking my butt.

3. In ch.1, where can I find the gem required to craft my rapier? (I forget the name)

4. At the docks, what do I need to do to participate in the auction? Do I need to clear out the Bloodsailer hideout first?

Thanks for any help you can grace me with :)
color=indigo][size=10]1.11 Vanilla LOD[/size][/color]

Rugrats

• Sol
Re: General Queries
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 08:17:47 PM »
Quote from: "BubbleTough"
New forum, new newbie questions 8)

1. How the hell does armor work? I know everything in the game fairly well, but armor I just do not understand. How does it work? How does it affect you? How does it affect dex? just give me the most mind-numbingly detailed response and I will be content :wink:

2. Any tips to beat that ugly spider in ch.1? It is kicking my butt.

3. In ch.1, where can I find the gem required to craft my rapier? (I forget the name)

4. At the docks, what do I need to do to participate in the auction? Do I need to clear out the Bloodsailer hideout first?

Thanks for any help you can grace me with :)

1. Higher AC = better. Being higher-level than your opposition = better.

Tht's about the sum of it :)

2. which ugly spider (location?), what character? Generally, though, getting kocked down is bad, getting locked in place is worse, and having a henchman is useful.

3. You'll need dragon blood ..... it's a random drop, as far as I know.

4. There is no auction ...... the auctioneer in the seedy tavern will take smuggler's coins for for items, though.
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn

BubbleTough

• Shael
General Queries
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 08:20:53 PM »
It's the one spider that is in the locked house. It kicked my butt. I was thinking about a merc, but it totally owned me and Tomi (I was using Tomi to unlock stuff). The character is Dave, stats and stuff are in the rolecall thread. Thanks for your help Rugrats :)

Rugrats

• Sol
General Queries
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 08:46:08 PM »
Where's Greybeard when you need him?

Anyhoo, level 3 is probably not a good level to try taking a dire spider on ....... my fighter had 'issues' (necessitating multiple town trips) with one at level 5.

Tomi is a good merc to have if you don't have trap/lock abilities and can tank most everything. However, if you're getting pwned, Tomi doesn't help overmuch ...... I'd try either Daelan or Linu.
Thrugg: the vast majority of the world is a bunch of newbs.

WoW (member of Soulbound)
Thelyna
Moralda
Aibhinn

maxbeedo

• Lum
General Queries
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 08:54:38 PM »
1. Armor adds to AC.  The "maximum dexterity bonus" lowers the AC bonus you get from dex (but only that).  So if you have 16 dex, you only get +1 AC from that if you're wearing Splint/Half Plate/Full Plate, although your other dex stuff stays the same (sometimes the game is bugged otherwise, depending on your version).  The opponent has to roll his attack equal to or greater than your AC to hit you, although some attacks called "touch" attacks go past armor (your dex bonus, dodge bonus, and natural armor bonuses still apply there).

2. Spiders are bad because of their knockdown and their poison.  The poison can't kill you, but it will lower your str to 3, making it extremely hard to kill them in melee.  Raise your AC any way you can (barkskin potions, better armor, rings or amulets), buy a lesser amulet of health (immune to disease and poison) which is usually around 10000 gold I think, or use ranged attacks.

3. Dragon's Blood is used for the rapier.  You can find one in a chest in Meldanen's house in the Blacklake District and on the 2nd floor of the Silver Sails trading company building.  

4.  There is no auction for you to participate in.  Talking to enough people you should know that the auction won't take place.  You need to find the people who were going to hold it.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

BubbleTough

• Shael
General Queries
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 05:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the help max. I am assuming since I have 16 into dex, and have weapon finesse, that I should probably look for a good medium armor, and that poison won't effect me much. Correct?

maxbeedo

• Lum
General Queries
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 05:40:03 PM »
If you have 16 dex, yeah, might be good to stick with a medium armor, although since the max bonus only applies to AC, if you find armor that has a much, much higher AC than your medium armor, it wouldn't hurt to switch (dragon armors usually have 11-13 AC).  Your +3 dex modifier will still apply to attacks, reflex saves, etc., either way.  

The poison only has to hit you once though for it to screw you.  It's probably better off to buy a Lesser Amulet of Health (I checked, it's around 6-7k gold), since you'll meet other spiders later.  Or have almost nothing in your inventory such that you aren't encumbered even with only 3 strength so you can escape if needed.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

BubbleTough

• Shael
General Queries
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 08:29:37 PM »
Alrighty, that is exactly what I was looking for with the armor! I think I will clear out the bloodsailer hideout, and see if I can get a magical rapier before I take on the dire spider again. Thanks again max :)

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
General Queries
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 03:01:16 AM »
I take it you are talking about the spider in the Silver Sails, which I call the spider house.

He is very tough and will try to lead you into the web to get you stuck.

Best thing to do is to stand in the door, he will see you when he starts coming back out the door and he will follow, this keeps you away from the web and gives you the doorway as protection.

This works well with him.

I generally do the docks first, but only for smugglers coins, no quests, then I go to Beggars nest and clear the streets of Zombies, and then the warehouse and Sword Coast punk.

Then to No Mans Land and Luxor by that time I hit lvl 6 and its on to the Prison.

Then back to the docks (lvl 7) finish those quests.

Then to Beggars Nest and Warren Of The damned and hit lvl 8 and 9 then onto Blacklake to end the game.

That order seems to work well for me, I also leave most ALL boss chests till I hit lvl 9, the difference in treasure between lvl 8 and 9 is HUGE.

You should do the docks solo if you can then spend your coins, even buy what you don't need and resell it for a good profit or get it crafted for a even higher profit. Just kill the 3 Bloodsailors on the boat, put on their uniform, go to the door of the Seedy Tavern and it will let you in thinking you are a stinkin bloodsailer, change back to your armor as soon as you get in, the auction guy is in the left corner, spend your coins there.

PS- There are two more muggers in the "Apple" building upstairs they usually drop a few more coins, the more the better.:)

Highest amount of coins I have ever gotten is 47!

Usually I average about 30.

This will give you some good gear and money early in the game.

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

maxbeedo

• Lum
General Queries
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 06:48:44 AM »
I think if you wait until you're lvl 8-9 before you do the docks, there are a lot more muggers and thugs, because I can usually get between 60 and 80 smugglers coins (enough to buy nearly every item), without going into any buildings (albeit they are a bit harder, since over half of them use sneak attacks).