Author Topic: Stay a while and listen!  (Read 52715 times)

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
Stay a while and listen!
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:38:18 AM »
I thought we could use this thread to post how you are progressing in the game.  A "The keep us up to date with your progress thread" except I really didn't want to name the thread that.  I'm sure everyone knows the quote I used.

Anyways...just be careful give a warning if you are talking about something that can be considered as a spoiler...

I don't get much time to devote to this game because I just can't play it during the day.  The game's content is pretty graphic and it is not something that I want my kids seeing.  So I have to wait until they are in bed to get some game time in.

Overall I am enjoying.  But it seems like my Evoker is a little underpowered right now.  It probably doesn't help that my main skill is "Spectral Bolts" which is the default skill you start with.  I have to wait until level 10 to get the skill that will be one of my main killers.  I also haven't experimented with modding my weapons.  So that could easily be one of the big problems that I have.

***slight spoiler***

British Museum....

Ok...last night I got my ass handed to me.

Couple of issues...

I found the portal to hell.  When I went in I was met by this monster who shoot electrical bolts at me.  I forget the name.  The problem is that every time I got him down to 1/8 health all of a sudden he was back at full health.  WTF!  I did it about five times before I gave up killing him.  Is this a bug or am I missing something? 

So I ignored him and cleared out the rest of the monsters before I put the device into that alter-thingy.  A count down begins and I boogied on out of there.

Problem...I get out of the rift and I am all of a sudden mobbed by monsters.  Well no big deal I think and I start killing them.  Except that there are these two huge monsters that appear and get in my grill and kick my ass.  Now Evokers, for the most part, do not like monsters up close and personal.  So I died.  Paid my money and tried again.  No luck died again.  This time I revived back at the station.  Well that sucked.  Any advice?

And what is the deal about reviving as a ghost?  How does that work?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:40:06 AM by Sssith »

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
Re: Stay a while and listen!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:51:23 AM »
I don't get much time to devote to this game because I just can't play it during the day.  The game's content is pretty graphic and it is not something that I want my kids seeing.  So I have to wait until they are in bed to get some game time in.

WTF?! Responsible parental gaming? Blasphemy! Burn, heretic, burn!

Umm... right then. Carry on...

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »
I found the portal to hell.  When I went in I was met by this monster who shoot electrical bolts at me.  I forget the name.  The problem is that every time I got him down to 1/8 health all of a sudden he was back at full health.  WTF!  I did it about five times before I gave up killing him.  Is this a bug or am I missing something? 

I found that I needed to keep pretty constant pressure on him to stop him healing himself. Basically my rocket launcher or sniper rifle, while doing nice damage, didn't have a high rate of fire and he used the long time between attacks to heal. Whereas keeping him under constant barrage with my assault rifle seemed to do the job.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Gohanman

• Lem
    • http://gohanman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:09 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I assume he has healing or something.

Problem...I get out of the rift and I am all of a sudden mobbed by monsters.  Well no big deal I think and I start killing them.  Except that there are these two huge monsters that appear and get in my grill and kick my ass.  Now Evokers, for the most part, do not like monsters up close and personal.  So I died.  Paid my money and tried again.  No luck died again.  This time I revived back at the station.  Well that sucked.  Any advice?
Same thing happened to me :lol:. I revived back at the station and my quest progress was at the point where I'd died ("Survive"). The device was gone and the portal was closed. When I went back to the museum, there was only one huge monster (I think I actually saw three when I died). I engaged him on a narrow bridge and just wore him down toe-to-toe.

And what is the deal about reviving as a ghost?  How does that work?
You look kinda wispy and when you get back near your body, you come back to life. Main difference seems to be the dungeon doesn't re-populate with monsters.

Huyghe (Wizard :: 60)
Westmalle (Demon Hunter :: 60)
Bernardus (Monk :: 60)
Corsendonk (Barb :: 60)
Fantome (Witch Doctor :: 60)

lone_wolf

• Pul
  • Member of the Crystal Obsidian army
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »
that storm husk has an regenerating ability whitch by thwe way is clearly visable if you check the monster info box as you hold your crosshair over him.

when you place the deevice in the socket an count down will begin. if you make it out with times to spare the monsters will not have spawned yet with buy you some time to regroup and plan ahed for how to deal with them.

broms curse coupled with the first fire skill and strong focus items are very viable in killing them, another is to try to get an item with lightningfield on and spam that on them along with other attacks myself i used demonspine and lightningfield to deal with them.

of course when i partied up with my brother they when a easy pickings.

Now for something compleatly different i have remade 2 of my chars because you cant respec, some hate it but to me its just another way to learn how to play the game the way you want to. goiung to remake my evoker later on aswell  :lol:
Currently playing what you see in my xfire profile

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
that storm husk has an regenerating ability whitch by thwe way is clearly visable if you check the monster info box as you hold your crosshair over him.

Yeah...I noticed that.  But it is very rediculous that the healing power is to go from almost dead to fully healed in one second.  And to be able to over and over again.

broms curse coupled with the first fire skill and strong focus items are very viable in killing them, another is to try to get an item with lightningfield on and spam that on them along with other attacks myself i used demonspine and lightningfield to deal with them.

I was thinking of getting Brom's Curse.  I guess I might as well drop a point in that.  Can't hurt.  No items with lightningfield.  I don't want to go with fire or demonspine for this build.  Which means that I have to wait until level 10 to get more attack skills.

Drasius

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »
Going Lash?

Might want to pick up some AoE and some close range. Lash is actually one of the few skills you'll want to put more than 1 point in. Most things give the same effects with only 1 point. Don't bother with lash mastery either.

As for Sekworm, forget about killing him with an evoker unless you can shock him (can use nothing but electricity skills when shocked), they just don't have the damage output to do it.

My marksman seems a touch OP with markerlight and a sniper rifle ATM, but that will prolly change soon., evoker coming along, as is summoner and engi. Guardian and blademaster seem aweful dull ATM.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

lone_wolf

• Pul
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:31 AM »
Going Lash?

Might want to pick up some AoE and some close range. Lash is actually one of the few skills you'll want to put more than 1 point in. Most things give the same effects with only 1 point. Don't bother with lash mastery either.

As for Sekworm, forget about killing him with an evoker unless you can shock him (can use nothing but electricity skills when shocked), they just don't have the damage output to do it.

My marksman seems a touch OP with markerlight and a sniper rifle ATM, but that will prolly change soon., evoker coming along, as is summoner and engi. Guardian and blademaster seem aweful dull ATM.

not true 2 evokers with fire and poison can kill him if they put their mind to it :lol: i ashould know it took me and my brother 15 min to kill him :razz:

im going lightning field, spectral lash on Zavan as well as some points in demonspine might change that to fire lightning and spectral lash later have to test it out first

have to level Zarthan up again but it should be better now when i wont try to max his shields :lol: and wont dump 20 points into accurency  :sad:

Somethingsin

• Amn
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:15:03 AM »
my friends evoker took him down pretty easily with the fire barrage skill
I love llamas

Wittgenstein is popularly credited with the idea that most philosophical controversies are due to confusions over language. I'm not sure how much credit to give him. I suspect a lot of people realized this, but reacted simply by not studying philosophy, rather than becoming philosophy professors. ~~Paul Graham

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »
WooT!

Much fun last night.

Dropped a point in Brom's Curse and found it very much worth my while.  So I went back to the museum and I ran into those huge dudes.  Turns out they are small dudes who can grow big.  :lol:  Who knew.  The first couple battles were tough.  But then I scored a new focus weapon and my damage just jumped.  The battles after that were still tough by I began to take out those growing monsters much more easily.  That said I am now an expert on fighting while running backwards.  It is a good thing I am clearing everything because you don't want to run backwards into more monsters.  I hope when I get Blink I will not have to run backwards so much. :-) 

Then I took down the boss monster and I scored by first Legendary item! WOOT!  It was a chest armor piece. 

All in all a fun night.

+++

Yeah...the evoker is going to be a Lash dude.  I am planning on having some attacks from the electrical line as my close in stuff.  Why do you say not to bother with Lash Mastery?  Seems like it would be a good skill.

I am not surprised that a fire-evoker could take down that electrical monster.  But that is not the build I am going for.

Oh...does anyone know what the hell the 'Luck' mod does?

Good times.

lone_wolf

• Pul
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
luck supposely work just like MF in diablo 2 but how much is needed to see and efect and how much an effect it is is at the moment unclear

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:03:23 AM »
Didn't think I would get much playing time in last night but thankfully I got about an hour in.  Didn't level but I almost made it to ninth level. 

I tried the Augmentrix 3000, or whatever it is called, and got a mod on my weapon that is not really of use.  Has anyone gotten anything good from this device?

Also...weapon hand...In the inventory screen I put my main focus weapon in what would be his right hand.  Yet in actual game play it ended up in his left hand.  WTF?!  That seems very odd.  And it is an important distinction for an evoker because when we dual wield our focus weapons only one of them gets used for the base damage.  I am assuming the one that is in his right hand becomes the basis for spell damage. 

Aside from that I had a great time running and gunning.  Right now I am mostly using spectral bolt.  It is a love hate relationship.  Spectral bolt really shines for some uses but other times you just can't hit jack with it.

So I made it to the third station which is nice.  It seems to be less populated which is good in my book.

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:36:28 AM »
I tried the Augmentrix 3000, or whatever it is called, and got a mod on my weapon that is not really of use.  Has anyone gotten anything good from this device?

I have, but I've also got some crap. Last night I upgraded a legendary in the Augmentrix (cost a fair bit) and got a crappy + to curses mod that also had the added bonus of increasing the stamina requirement so I could no longer wear it.

yay. :-?
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
Well...that is not good.

More about focus weapons...

Seems like there is no 'offhand' when dual wielding.  Both focus weapons are contributing to the damage.  Read here for more info:

http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=27397

edit:

It seems that early determination is that the formula is:

(left hand power + right hand power) * .6

or something close to that...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:03:07 AM by Sssith »

lone_wolf

• Pul
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »
got zarthan to lev 10 via some early morning leveling, i think i will take shadewolf for a spin for a while too. but im still unsure about the surges so need to read up a bit on them