Author Topic: Mini-Game/Mods and other FAQs  (Read 8861 times)

Gohanman

• Lem
    • http://gohanman.com
Re: Mini-Game/Mods and other FAQs
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »
2. right click on your weapon or shiled and you will see the true damage there
Does that include active modifiers (e.g., str increase melee damage)? Doesn't help with skill damage, but it's a start.

6. armor migrate all damage done to you but dont protect against status effects, shileds on the other hand do protect you agaisnt status effects for the short while they stay up, it appears as if shields apply first then status affect defences.
Maybe I am off base in thinking of status effects (is SFX the preferred abbreviation?) as resistances.

Would it be more correct to look at it this way:

All attacks have two components: direct damage and SFX. A sword might do 5-9 physical damage and have a 3% chance to cause Stun, for example. Armor reduces direct damage (all kinds). Bonsuses to SFX attack and defense affect the chance of SFX being inflicted.

And to clarify - shields *completely* block SFX? As in, you cannot cause SFX unless you knock down their shields first (or maybe have a weapon w/ shield penetration)? I may have to completely re-think my build [again].

On an unrelated note, I think the shields (piece of armor) and shields (magic barrier above armor) terminology is going to get annoying.

Huyghe (Wizard :: 60)
Westmalle (Demon Hunter :: 60)
Bernardus (Monk :: 60)
Corsendonk (Barb :: 60)
Fantome (Witch Doctor :: 60)

lone_wolf

• Pul
  • Member of the Crystal Obsidian army
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
2. right click on your weapon or shiled and you will see the true damage there

Does that include active modifiers (e.g., str increase melee damage)? Doesn't help with skill damage, but it's a start.

6. armor migrate all damage done to you but dont protect against status effects, shileds on the other hand do protect you agaisnt status effects for the short while they stay up, it appears as if shields apply first then status affect defences.

Maybe I am off base in thinking of status effects (is SFX the preferred abbreviation?) as resistances.

Would it be more correct to look at it this way:

All attacks have two components: direct damage and SFX. A sword might do 5-9 physical damage and have a 3% chance to cause Stun, for example. Armor reduces direct damage (all kinds). Bonsuses to SFX attack and defense affect the chance of SFX being inflicted.

And to clarify - shields *completely* block SFX? As in, you cannot cause SFX unless you knock down their shields first (or maybe have a weapon w/ shield penetration)? I may have to completely re-think my build [again].

y

On an unrelated note, I think the shields (piece of armor) and shields (magic barrier above armor) terminology is going to get annoying.

2 not that im aware of some people have begun to create formulas for checking the damage if they are correct or not i dont know(if they are some skills of the blademaster are seriously broken). Skill damage of the evoker is farely easy to handle though, the damage of you spells are directly affected by the amount of damage your focus item does not the damage you can see like 40 sectral direct rightclick instead on the item and you see its power and elemental strenght

6 that would be correct as far as i have seen through testing and read about from others. (about shileds) yep as far as i can tell atleast i cant get an status effect on me until my shields are depleated. That is also the reason i tend tio look for shield overload and shield penetration on all of my gear.

and your right the temonology is going to be annoying
Currently playing what you see in my xfire profile

Gohanman

• Lem
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 07:45:37 AM »
I payed more careful attention to cool down times last night and here's what I found:

The following skills were on the hot key bar:
Shield of Faith (group Shield*)
Anchor (group Shield)
Shield Turn (groups Shield, Swordsmanship)
Prayer of Healing (group Prayer)

* ingame.de skill planner doesn't list a group here, so I'm guessing

When I use Prayer of Healing, here's what happens:
1) all four skills go red - Prayer of Healing has a timer listed, none of the others do
2) after approximately one second, Shield of Faith and Shield Turn come back, more or less simultaneously
3) after an additional one or two seconds, Anchor comes back

Since there are no timers, I'm just estimating, and maybe badly. I have definitely observed the following though:
1) Anchor takes noticeably longer to come back
2) The effect is reciprocal (i.e., when I use Anchor, everything goes red and it takes an extra second or two for Prayer of Healing to return).

My guess is that using any timered skill disables all timered skills for a short count (probably one second). I'll play with Shield of Faith and Shield Turn a bit to see if I can confirm this. I have no idea what relationship between Anchor and Prayer of Healing causes the extra lag though.

NEW QUESTIONS:
* Does experience gained scale as well as monster strength when partied? Do you level faster solo or /players 8?

* I assume there isn't, but double checking: is there any way to add a player to your friends list instead of a character (e.g., Minor_deity instead of ShawnOfTheDead)? Seems like it would be really useful.

* What happens when you complete the mini game? I had a big text message pop up randomly (directly above the hot keys) a couple times last night and thought it might signify completing the mini game (for lack of any other explanation), but I didn't notice any drops.

Minor_Deity

• Keeper of the Imps
  • Lum
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »
Whenever you complete the mini-game a bunch of random items drop. Even if you are in a station.

AFAIK they still have not added a way to add the player instead of individual characters.

Sorry, I haven't been playing much. Busy week(end), with the motorcycle rally, V day and whatnot. As a result I am not as up to date on the new shite that has come to light.
Brewmeister in training --- Town Drunk --- Equal opportunity imbiber.
"If we have to move a Star Wars thread to the Lounge, I’m officially throwing in the towel on any pretense of us not being just a bunch of uber geeks." - Butch
Playing DIII, duh!
DII 1.11 HC - Mods=WMD er I mean RWM (Bite me Bliz) -RRM added as a preservative.
DII 1.09 SC/HC - Crisp and clean and no modding. Never had it, never will.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur

Gohanman

• Lem
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »
Does anyone know if the Shield Penetration mod affects all attack skills? Like if I have an evoker with 10% shield pen armor on, can I lash someone through their shields?

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 07:55:13 AM »
Oh yeah baby!  Shield penetration and Evokers is a marriage made in heaven.  A certain amount of damage, based on the amount of shield penetration you have, will go right through the shield.  I have a Lasher in progress right now and I recently scored some shield penetration.  I also recently found a mod for non-evoker weapons that has shield penetration.

Gohanman

• Lem
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »
New discovery (at least to me):

Uniques appear to actually work just like they did in D2. I found the same unique mind control weapon twice now and they have identical mods; what can vary is the number attached to the mod (e.g., one is +12 all attributes, the other is +14). Obviously it's just one item, but the odds of 5 or so different base mods randomly matching are pretty slim.

I found this really interesting from a build planning standpoint (plus grailing potential!), since I was previously under the impression that uniques just had specific names and completely variable mods. Although every unique I've found has really, really steep stat requirements.

mn4nu

• Mal
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »
I found this really interesting from a build planning standpoint (plus grailing potential!)
Don't even go there.  Sick bastards like me will never be able to quit if grailing is a possibility.  :P

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
In case anyone missed it, here's an official statement on how Luck works:
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=60772

;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
I found this really interesting from a build planning standpoint (plus grailing potential!)
Don't even go there.  Sick bastards like me will never be able to quit if grailing is a possibility.  :P

First you need to start playing the game.  :-P

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thing about Luck but the first thing that jumps out at me is that wearing luck will not help if you are running bosses.  Since it only reduces the chance that Normal items drop.  It will only be useful for general questing.

Somethingsin

• Amn
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
and the general consensus is that luck doesn't work at all, or may even reduce drop rates
I love llamas

Wittgenstein is popularly credited with the idea that most philosophical controversies are due to confusions over language. I'm not sure how much credit to give him. I suspect a lot of people realized this, but reacted simply by not studying philosophy, rather than becoming philosophy professors. ~~Paul Graham

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 06:58:16 AM »
Having played around with it, here's a tip on game settings:

Wondering what exactly low, medium, high, very high anti-aliasing modes are? Wonder no more (applies to Nvidia... No idea about ATI):

Low = 2xMSAA
Medium = 4xMSAA
High = 16x (4xMSAA + 16xCSAA)
Very high = 16xQ (8xMSAA + 16xCSAA)

No options for 8x or 8xQ.

That explains a bit. I've been playing on high AA, but the VRAM usage is more than I like, resulting in low framerates (20s) in stations. Think I'll drop to medium and see what that does for VRAM. Based on my Oblivion experience, that should cut at least 100MB off VRAM usage. My preferred setting is 8x, but there's no option for that... might try forcing it through the driver and see what happens.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 07:40:53 AM »
I've had no fps issues in the game at all except for going up or down stairs in stations (particularly Covent Garden) and that's game programming. My FPS never dips any other times with max settings. This is why I overpaid for a PC :D

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »
So what setting should I use for my nVidia 7600 Go?