Author Topic: Mini-Game/Mods and other FAQs  (Read 8531 times)

Minor_Deity

• Keeper of the Imps
  • Lum
Mini-Game/Mods and other FAQs
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:41:48 AM »
Ok since this thread got stickied I figured I'd clean up the this post and put more info in it. Pulling most of this from the Gamespot article here.

Gave it a cleaning up and a dressing down for our local use. Made a couple corrections as well. If you have a correction or info that you think should be added post it in this thread. As of now lots of stuff is being worked on and is subject to change.

MP grouping

Bring up up your Friends Console.
To add a Friend - Enter the character name and select Add. Currently that character must be online to be added.
To group with a Friend - Right click the character name in the Friends console and select the Party option. You should have their portrait now on your UI.
To get to the same place as your Friend - Right click their portrait and select the Open Portal option. This will allow you to get to the same "version" of an instance as your friend(s). ie You can be in the same station and you'll never see each other if you do not load into the same version of it. Like Diablo even though your partied you can go anywhere separately. It is not like Guild Wars where one person in the party going into, or out of, an instance brings the rest of the party along for the ride. Since this game is "instanced" you'll only be together for bad guy pounding if you enter the same version of the instance.

Mini-Game

Item Rarity

Common (Grey): Common items have no special properties, and are all alike. If you find two common Tempest Rifles, for instance, they’ll have the exact same stats (in rare cases you may find common items with different mod slots).

Enhanced (Green): Enhanced items are superior versions of common items. They’ll typically have one special property and will deal more damage or have more armor by default, and will almost always give you rare components when broken down.

Rare (Blue): Typically they’ll have two enhancements and will be more powerful yet than the enhanced items.

Legendary (Orange): Legendary items are the kings of the randomly-generated heap, with the capability of holding three or four special properties.

Unique (Golden): Unique items are a bit different in Hellgate London than they were in, say, Diablo II. Instead of being premade by the game’s designers, uniques in HGL are randomized, just like lower-level loot: they will have unique names, however, and will usually be quite a bit more powerful than any other item that you’re likely to find. (Sometimes the randomness of these items can result in a bunch of mods that simply aren’t that useful; don’t hesitate to deconstruct a unique if it’s just not good enough for you.) If you find a unique item for a class that’s not your own, be sure to offer it up in chat channel to other players; you’re likely to earn quite a bit of cash for it.

Mods

Defensive Enhancements

* Attribute +X: Some weapons and equipment will come with a bonus to a certain attribute, like Strength or Accuracy. When equipped, you’ll immediately gain a bonus to that stat. Some pieces of armor will grant you a bonus to all of your attributes at once, and are highly prized.

* Adds X [Status Effect] Defense: If an item says that it adds to your Stun or Ignite defense, this means that it will help prevent you from being afflicted by the particular status effect that it guards against. As you proceed through the game, more enemies will resort to Igniting you, Phasing you, and so on, so these defenses are necessary, especially for guardians. Some items will add to all special damage effect defenses at once.

* Health Regeneration: Health regeneration will let you automatically restore lost health over time. Your character has zero health regeneration initially, so the only one you can regenerate health in the early going is with health injectors. Health regeneration will decrease your reliance on injectors, but it’s pretty slow; still, if you have a lot of downtime between fights, or can rely on minions to take most of the hits, you can still find this to be pretty useful.

* Hit Point Bonus: Some armors will give you either a percentage hit point bonus or a static number. The percentage bonuses are usually preferred, as a 10% bonus to hit points will result in bigger bonuses as you invest in Stamina.

* Power Point Bonus: We’ve only seen +X increases to power points; we’ve never noticed any percentage based increases here. Still, those enhancements might be out there.

* Minion Damage/Minion Armor: Adds a percentage increase to your minion’s armor or damage. Pretty handy, but useless if your class can’t summon minions, obviously.

* +X Luck: Luck is essentially the Magic Find stat from Diablo II repeated. High luck stats will let you get more items from enemies and will increase the chance that enemies drop enhanced and rare goods. Only Flagship really knows how much Luck effects these variables, but if Diablo II is any indication, you’ll need a lot before the effects become clear.

* Increases Use of Class Skills by X%: This allows you to use your skills more often. Most activated skills have a cooldown on them. If you have a 10-second cooldown on an ability, for instance, and get a 20% Increased Use enhancement, that cooldown will be reduced to eight seconds.

* Decreases Power Cost of Class Skills by X%: All skills for the listed class will cost a few percent fewer power points to use.

* Movement Speed +X%: Although rare, this enhancement is pretty handy, as it will increase your default movement speed at all times.

* Melee Speed Bonus +X%: This increases your swing rate for all melee weapons. Usually this percentage will be pretty small.

* Thorns: Some armors will have a Thorns effect with a number after it, usually something small. This will deal damage of the amount and type listed to any enemy that strikes you. It’s a small amount, but it adds up, especially for Guardians.

Offensive Enhancements

* Increases damage by X%: All damage dealt by the weapon will be increased by the listed percent. Most mods that offer this ability have pretty small damage increases, but some can go up to 20% or higher. This stacks with elemental damage increases offered by other mods.

* Adds X% Elemental Damage: Usually a mod will let you add a small percent of elemental damage to your weapon. Although this doesn’t appear to increase the damage the weapon does (probably a display bug), it actually does. Say you have a weapon that deals 100 physical damage per shot, then add a +10% toxic damage mod. The weapon would henceforth deal 100 physical damage and 10 toxic damage per shot. These mods are decent ways to increase a weapon’s damage while also making it easier for you to deal damage that’ll reduce your minigame numbers.

* +X To [Status Effect] Attack Strength: If you have a weapon that deals a certain kind of damage, there’s usually a small chance for it to confer a status effect on your foes. For instance, fire-based weapons will sometimes cause an enemy to Ignite, causing them to lose 5% of their total health every second. If you can find a mod that adds +100 to Ignite attack strength, then you greatly increase the chance for this status effect to be applied with each hit. It’s unclear what the base chance of these effects going off is, and it’s likewise unclear how much your Attack Strength affects it (the game is pretty cagey about these stats). Note that adding an Ignite Attack Strength mod to a weapon that deals only electricity damage is useless; a weapon that deals only electrical damage will never cause an enemy to Ignite, even if you add a mod like this to it.

* +X% Damage to [Enemy Type]: Whatever damage you dealt will be increased by the listed percentage, but only against a particular type of enemy. This is less useful than mods that add a blanket increase to damage or increase damage of an elemental type, but can still be handy, especially if you want to farm a boss of a particular type.

* Critical Chance Multiplier [Enemy Type] +X%: The percentage increase here is pretty large, but in most cases the effect is actually fairly small. If you have a 1% base chance to achieve a critical strike, and a mod gives you a +80% chance to achieve a critical on Beasts, then your critical chance only goes up to 1.8%. In general, it’s best to wait until you find a mod with the following enhancement instead.

* Critical Chance Bonus +X%: Typically the bonuses here are pretty small, usually something like one or two percent. However, that’s because they add a chance to crit to all of your attacks, and are additive instead of multiplicative. If you find a mod that adds 2% critical chance, and only have the base 1% critical chance, then your critical chance will go up to 3% against all enemies. Pretty handy, especially for critting classes like some Marksmen or Blademasters.

* Critical Damage Bonus +X%: This number will typically be pretty large. If you happen to get a critical hit with a weapon with this stat, then the damage you deal on the hit will be increased by the given number. Every 100% here equates to a standard hit, so if you have 100% critical damage, you deal double damage on a crit; 200% is triple damage, and so on.

* Shield Overload: Shield overload acts much like critical damage, but is only applied to an enemy’s shields. If you have a 100% shield overload rating, then you deal twice as much damage as you normally would to an enemy’s shields on every hit. When the shields drop, or if an enemy doesn’t have shields, then this mod basically becomes useless, but still: plenty of enemies have shields.

* Shield Penetration: This stat will let a weapon’s damage actually avoid an enemy’s shields. If you have 30% shield penetration, then 30% of your damage will ignore the shields and hit an enemy directly. This is pretty handy, since some enemies have a lot more shielding than they do health, and even a small percentage of penetration can let you turn a tough fight into a pushover. Note that you also can’t apply status effect to shielded units; having shield penetration, however, will let your weapon punch through the shields and apply Phasing, Ignite, etc.

* Energy Consumption -X: Some weapons have constant energy drains, such as Nanodyne Firestarters and Zeus Rifles. These mods will allow these weapons to fire longer without draining themselves down to 50% damage.

* Splash Damage Radius Increase: For weapons that deal splash damage, this will increase the radius of the effect, letting you hit more enemies with a single shot.

* Accuracy Degradation Decrease: These mods, when applied, will let you reduce the amount of accuracy degradation that occurs with ranged weapons when you hold down the fire button. It may also apply to movement degradation.

* X% Chance to cause [Explosion Type] When It Kills An Enemy: When you kill an enemy with this mod equipped, you have a chance to issue forth an explosive effect of the type listed, like a Spectral Nova. Handy for dishing out the hurt against clumps of weaker enemies, but not as useful against tougher foes.

* X% Chance to cause [Explosion Type] When It Hits An Enemy: Same as the above, but has a chance to occur each time your weapon connects with an enemy. The percent chance for this to occur is usually much smaller than the per-kill effects above, however.

Creating and Upgrading Items

Nano Forge

All you need to do is place an item into the left window nano forge, drag over the stacks of components that it asks you for, then click the Upgrade button and voila! Your item is magically better than it was before. Weapons do more damage, armor has more armor, and everyone’s happy. It’s worth noting that it seems to be better at upgrading weapons than armor, however.

There are some side effects to the nano forge, though. Upgrading a weapon will increase its item level, which can have some deleterious effects: items can be upgraded to the point where you’re no longer a high enough level to use them, for instance. An item that gets upgraded may also wind up increasing its level beyond what the mods in it can handle. Each mod has a maximum item level on it; if you upgrade a weapon above this limit, the mod will cease to function.
This is an issue players are looking to have addressed. Having a Level Cap on the mods makes no sense. In other words, having an Item level Requirement to keep you from putting a high level mod in a low level item makes sense. But not the other way around.
Also, a change from beta, the retail game put in a 5 upgrade cap. This is being slammed fairly hard as well, since FSS had been promoting the whole "take a low level item you like all the way to end game". Progressing a chosen weapon or piece of armour as your character progressed via Upgrading and Modding was a cool feature. It remains to be seen if this was a temp fix to some serious balance issues that they will be addressing or a permanent nerf.
:razz:

Item Crafter

Almost all towns will have two merchants: a buy-and-sell merchant that you’ll need to buy analyzers from, and an item crafter. When you speak to him or her, the item crafter will offer you a menu of items that you can create using your components. The items that are available are randomized, and will sometimes be completely useless to you.

With that said, though, sometimes you’ll luck out and be able to create a really nice item at the crafter. She offers the ability to create up to Legendary items on occasion. However, these items will usually require a substantial amount of components to craft, to the point where you probably won’t have enough materials to make a new item more than once a level or two. Still, if you luck out, you’ll be able to use the item crafter to make some wicked armor and weapons. Be sure to check her inventory every time you hit town and hope for something great.

Augmentrix 3000

If you have a lot of spare cash, then the Augmentrix 3000 can be used to add new properties to a weapon or piece of armor, even if it already has a number of them already. You can choose to add Common, Rare, or Legendary properties to anything you put in the Augmentrix, with rapidly escalating prices. Even common properties can be beneficial, though; we’ve lucked out with +2% critical chance, +30% damage to demons, and other handy upgrades that were relatively cheap. At higher levels, though, you’ll have greater risk for greater reward, as the upgrades you can provide to your weapons will presumably be even more effective. There’s always the chance that the upgrade you get won’t be useful to you, however.

Each item can have up to five modifications, but it doesn’t appear that you can add more than three mods with the Augmentrix. Still, you probably won’t be spending much of your cash at the buy-and-sell merchant, so the Augmentrix is a great place to spend it if needed. Items upgraded at the Augmentrix also don’t increase their item level, which is handy.

Blueprints

One of the rarest ways to craft comes in the form of blueprints. Blueprints drop like any other item, off of monsters or treasure chests. When you find one, it’ll go into your inventory; right-click on it. That’ll pop up a crafting window which you can place components into and make whatever object the blueprints are for. If it’s something you like or need, feel free to make it; otherwise, you can trade it or sell it to a vendor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:56:29 PM by Minor_Deity »
Brewmeister in training --- Town Drunk --- Equal opportunity imbiber.
"If we have to move a Star Wars thread to the Lounge, I’m officially throwing in the towel on any pretense of us not being just a bunch of uber geeks." - Butch
Playing DIII, duh!
DII 1.11 HC - Mods=WMD er I mean RWM (Bite me Bliz) -RRM added as a preservative.
DII 1.09 SC/HC - Crisp and clean and no modding. Never had it, never will.

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
Re: Mini-Game
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:47:33 AM »
I've finished this twice now (both since yesterday, ironically, not once in the beta) and once I got a pile of craptastic greens. The second time I got a legendary crusader shield though.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »
BTW, sticky this thread plskthxggroflcopter.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »
BTW, sticky this thread plskthxggroflcopter.

Good idea. Done.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Minor_Deity

• Keeper of the Imps
  • Lum
Re: Mini-Game/Mods and other FAQs
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:51:10 AM »
*Edit*
Info moved to first post. :-D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:31:37 AM by Minor_Deity »
Brewmeister in training --- Town Drunk --- Equal opportunity imbiber.
"If we have to move a Star Wars thread to the Lounge, I’m officially throwing in the towel on any pretense of us not being just a bunch of uber geeks." - Butch
Playing DIII, duh!
DII 1.11 HC - Mods=WMD er I mean RWM (Bite me Bliz) -RRM added as a preservative.
DII 1.09 SC/HC - Crisp and clean and no modding. Never had it, never will.

Dust

• Shael
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:22:25 AM »
Request from a non playing person: Dye Kits. What effects do they have, and why do people want the wasp one? What other ones are there?

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »
Regarding grey items, they are "more" upgradeable in the various forges than other items and if you get a grey item with a lot of mod slots (I have a sniper rifle with 5 I think), this will be cheaper to upgrade in the augmentrix and canbe upgraded more in the nanoforge.

So some grey items are really worth holding onto, much like certain items with lots of sockets were in D2.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Death_Dealer

• Amn
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:21:39 PM »
Request from a non playing person: Dye Kits. What effects do they have, and why do people want the wasp one? What other ones are there?

I believe the dye kits were only available if you were a pre ordered the game and were a beta tester. I had the Wasp drop for me and I ordered at Amazon. I basically just adds yellow pinstriping to your char's armor. Lava is another sought after dye kit. I believe the kit that drops for you depends on where you bought the game.

Btw, did anyone manage to get one of those flaming halloween masks? I did manage to gather enough parts to make a bot before FFS disabled the holiday items. He doesn't do much but does manage to tank for me a bit.
Death_Dealer

Priceless...
Quote from: Lego
I just went from a P4 2.8 ghz to a Core2Duo 1.6 ghz. The Core2Duo smokes the P4 so bad it's not even funny.
If it were a 2 horse race, the P4 would have 4 broken legs and a gunshot wound to the head ;)

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:40 PM »
I got the mask. It doesn't do a whole lot except look really cool.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:22:51 AM »
Spectral monsters...where are they?  That is the only thing missing to complete my first mini-game but as far as I can tell they are not around yet.  I'm in Covenant Station.

lone_wolf

• Pul
  • Member of the Crystal Obsidian army
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »
Spectral monsters...where are they?  That is the only thing missing to complete my first mini-game but as far as I can tell they are not around yet.  I'm in Covenant Station.

you should be able to find some in the british museum if i recall right
Currently playing what you see in my xfire profile

Gohanman

• Lem
    • http://gohanman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 08:36:46 AM »
Time for some questions. I'll just start listing 'em out and see how many answers are known. I'm sure I'll end up framing some of them in D2 terms. Here we go:

1. Attributes: besides allowing you to equip things, what effect do points in strength, accuracy, willpower, and stamina have? My instinctive impressions is str/dex/nrg/vit (respectively), but I imagine it's not a straight correlation.

2. Attack info: the left side of the inventory screen serves pretty well for showing some LCS-type info. I can see defense, life, power, and elemental resistances. But conspicuously missing is a) attack damage and b) AR (is there even an equivalent chance to hit?). I can see that my sword does more damage than my shield bash, but where do I look to see how much? Can I compare the damage of shield bash vs. shield turn anywhere? Etc.

3. Cooldown times: I'm at a bit of a loss for how this works. As near as I can tell, when you use any skill with a cooldown, a cooldown timer starts on other skills, too (all skills with a timer maybe? skills in the same group?). The skill you use is available again after its listed time, but I don't get what's going on with the other skills. I know that it's not all skills taking the time of the skill you used (since they don't all come back from red at once), and I know the skills you didn't use don't take their full cooldown (easily observed since Shield of Faith has a ridiculous 40 second timer). Does anyone what know how this actually works?

4. I know the FAQs skill says the mechanism behind +X to [status effect] attack is unknown. Is the same true for +X to [status effect] defense?

5. Is there a blocking mechanism? I haven't really noticed myself going into any blocking animation. I'm curious since high blocking was damn effective in D2.

6. How and in what order to the various defenses work? Does Armor work strictly against physical type damage? Do shields absorb elemental damage? Are status effect defenses [resistances] applied before or after shields?

7. Has anyone got far enough to find out whether there are immunes later in the game - elemental, physical, or both?

More things may occur to me later.

Huyghe (Wizard :: 60)
Westmalle (Demon Hunter :: 60)
Bernardus (Monk :: 60)
Corsendonk (Barb :: 60)
Fantome (Witch Doctor :: 60)

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
1. Attributes -- I think you are on the mark there.  As an Evoker I am really only interested in Willpower [energy] and Stamina [health].

3. Cooldown -- I am not positive but I think it is only a cool down on the skill that you used.  As in my Blink {which I don't have yet}.  It will teleport me but at level one I can only use it once every 20 seconds.  If I couldn't use another skill during that time I would be screwed.  So it really has to only be a cooldown for the skill you used.

Can't really answer the other questions.  I am curious about the answers also.

Gohanman

• Lem
    • http://gohanman.com
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
3. Cooldown -- I am not positive but I think it is only a cool down on the skill that you used.  As in my Blink {which I don't have yet}.  It will teleport me but at level one I can only use it once every 20 seconds.  If I couldn't use another skill during that time I would be screwed.  So it really has to only be a cooldown for the skill you used.

I have Anchor, Shield of Faith, Shield Turn, and Prayer of Healing (names may be slightly wrong) on my hot key bar. After I got Prayer, I noticed that several skills on the hot key bar turned red & started ticking off seconds when I used Prayer. This may have been happening with all timered skills (I'll test more tonight), but I only noticed it with Prayer. Probably because I wasn't busy fighting when I used it.

Huyghe (Wizard :: 60)
Westmalle (Demon Hunter :: 60)
Bernardus (Monk :: 60)
Corsendonk (Barb :: 60)
Fantome (Witch Doctor :: 60)

lone_wolf

• Pul
  • Member of the Crystal Obsidian army
    • My site for the grail
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
I answer what i found out by playing reading the manual and checking the various forums.

1. Attributes: strenght lets you equip hevier armor asnd deal more melee damage, accurency up your % damage at a critical hit and decrease the spread of your crosshair, it also lets you equip more powerful guns, willpower make sure you can use more powerful mods since those req will and it also boosts your "mana" pool and its regen. stamina also lets you equip more powerful armor and it gives you an higher life but no regen. 

2. right click on your weapon or shiled and you will see the true damage there

3. as far as i can tell it affects all skills from the same line of skills but i could be wrong

4. that effect is known, it gives an higher chance to cause sfx aka ignite phase etc, as for +X to [status effect] defense it gives you an higher chance to avoid having that effect happening to you. hight shock and ignite defence is a great thing to have just remember not to neglect phase and poison too

5. not that im aware off

6. armor migrate all damage done to you but dont protect against status effects, shileds on the other hand do protect you agaisnt status effects for the short while they stay up, it appears as if shields apply first then status affect defences.

7. sorry dont know
Currently playing what you see in my xfire profile