Author Topic: Quick NWN 1 question  (Read 1433 times)

TheNix

• Dol
Quick NWN 1 question
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »
I was talking to a guy in my local software shop when I came across a copy of NWN 1 diamond edition for au$30, I asked his opinion and he said the NWN was probably one of the worst SP games made in recent times.  Playing on a server was great, SP sucked big time.  As I almost exclusively play SP I left it.  Was he just blowing smoke up my arse or is NWN a better game played MP? 
Every rune is sacred,
every rune is great,
If a rune is wasted
God gets quite irate.

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
Re: Quick NWN 1 question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »
I don't know how good it is MP, but Luch and Jeds played it BIGTIME in MP. I played it for years, myself, in SP, as did many millions, and enjoyed it. I've played plenty better, sure, but you're getting alot of content for 30 bucks, even if you don't like MP ;-) The adventures are unlimited, as 10s of thousands of community made adventures can be had on the net, most of them better than the original games ;-)

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:11:41 AM »
I think the problem wasn't that playing the game single player was bad, but the fact that the campaign itself was terrible.  The 3rd act was such an abysmal crawl :/

Though, this may be because I'm a fan of games where the levelling is fairly swift.  When there are so many character options, I want to play them all, not be stuck playing one for hours and hours and hours just to get through one crappy dungeon.

TheNix

• Dol
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 05:23:14 AM »
Thanks guys, if it's still there tomorrow I might give it a go.  I'm closing in on my 6/7 1.11 mats/pats, to go with my 1.09 set, after I finish the last one I'll probably be free of D2 and looking for a new challenge.  At the very worst NWN can go on my shelf with GW, Sacred, Dungeon Siege and perhaps a half a dozen other games I got saying that I'll play them one day.
Every rune is sacred,
every rune is great,
If a rune is wasted
God gets quite irate.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:27:58 AM »
I've still got NWN in my cd drive in fact.  The Original Campaign can drag a bit but there are ways to liven it up.  The other two official campaigns you get in the box set are quite lively as is.  If you have the patience to Pat 7 toons in two versions of D2, you won't get bored in NWN.
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:41:10 AM »
I never actually finished NWN1's campaign (any of the three) but I still played the snot out of the game for a very long time. I also had no interest whatsoever in MP play, but ultimately ended up playing thousands of hours online - there's something awesome about playing in a persistent world with live action DMs and the same group of people/characters around. It's addictive as hell, and the stories that grow out of the roleplaying and events are amazing.

I myself wouldn't pay $30 for it now, given how dated it is, but if you're coming from the likes of D2, that shouldn't be an issue. I say go for it. :)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

TheNix

• Dol
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
I picked up the diamond today, so once Elle, my mageazon now closing in on Hell Ancients, and Knightmare, my Fishymancer bearly started, are finished I'll give NWN 1 a run.  Can anyone point me to a good first up build?
Every rune is sacred,
every rune is great,
If a rune is wasted
God gets quite irate.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »
The simplest way to get a feel for the game is to play a Fighter.  Unless you are going to play a pure caster, a few Fighter levels are a good way to start any melee character anyway.  A Fighter is going to have pretty much no trouble hacking through Chapter 1, and by then you'll be comfortable trying out other things.

This forum still has a few builds posted somewhere I think, and the official site has a bit of a page of uber-builds (http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html) although they tend to be more aimed at the expert trying to tweak up the ultimate character.

If you have a particular kind of char in mind, we'll be happy to give you advice here.  To be honest designing the build is the most fun part of the game for me, I actually resent having to get in there and play them :)
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 07:23:12 PM »
To be honest designing the build is the most fun part of the game for me, I actually resent having to get in there and play them :)

I heartily agree. I really think that's the main source of my CRS, too. I enjoy the hell out of planning characters (of all games) but actually playing them is usually another story...

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Timinator

• Official Forum Bitcher
  • Ohm
  • Defender of the Creme Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
i was going to say, your first question should be are you a dice roller fan

FrolfFreak

• Freaky Frolf?
  • Ko
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:41:03 AM »
I played as a pure sorcerer my first time through the game, and had no problems.  Depending on your tastes, you may or may not want to play a spellcaster on the first go.  But i highly recommend doing so at *some* point.  The designers put in a lot of effort creating some very nifty eye candy for the spell effects.  So i would say you haven't gotten full value out of the game unless you've played a spell-caster :)