Author Topic: Starcraft 2  (Read 10854 times)

fnarkl

• Amn
Starcraft 2
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
Oh yes. I shall get it.

Took them bloody long enough............

Eat me.

Dust

• Shael
Re: Starcraft 2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:10:42 AM »
I just saw this.... And the cinematic looks nice too :)

www.blizzard.com

www.starcraft2.com

Guai

• Ko
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:46:08 AM »
I think it's a 10th anniversary thing, just like ID did with Doom. First SC came out in 97, so it would make some sort of sense for them to wait until 07 to announce the next one. I shall have a raging hard on until it's released.
<@DarkChaos> Nazi
<@DarkChaos> WE DON'T WANT YOUR HATE CRIMES HERE
<@DarkChaos> TAKE IT BACK TO GERMANIA SHADOW
<@Guai> yeah DC, you better hide
<@Guai> you gypsy fuck
<@DarkChaos> Stfu wetback
<@^Shadow> Hey, shut up, you guys are crossing the line now.
<@^Shadow> I might be forced to take action.
<@Guai> go read a hand
<@DarkChaos> go mow some lawns
<@Guai> don't you have a caravan to tend to?
* DarkChaos was kicked by ^Shadow (FINAL SOLUTION!)

Orbert

• Fal
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:45:23 AM »
Man, it looks sweet!

Starcraft and Brood Wars still hold up amazingly well for 10-year-old games. Heck, I still haven't master the original yet. I'm pretty good at Terran, have been known to win a few as Zerg, but Protoss still baffle me. Different approach, different attitude. I grok it not.

And of course, our PC probably doesn't have the horsepower to run Starcraft II, so for now, it doesn't matter.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »
This will probably be THE game that convinces me "it's time to get a new computer". 
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

plank

• Io
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »
Oh. My gawd.

I think I just creamed myself.

I played this game heavily for about 5 years. Zerg ftw! I remember how upset I was when Diablo 2 came out, and the whole server-divide (US East) etc thing screwed me and my mates over. I think they migrated to the US servers, but being in NZ I was stuck with the Asian server and couldn't find anybody. (I eventually found the joy of D2, and subsequently the SP forums, but thats another story...)

This is going to rawk!
Goatee Plank, Abe Lincoln Plank, Zappa Plank, Mustache Plank, Lemmy Plank, Full Beard Plank, and Pringles Plank

Corpsie

• Punk'd
  • Pul
  • G'Day Mate
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »

Orbert

• Fal
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »
Wow! That some serious stuff.  8-)

You can get to all four of the demo vids from the YouTube links.

Mad Godji

• Big Mutant French Lizard
  • Pul
    • Art of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 05:37:10 AM »
I'm slightly surprised by the out of proportion reactions (I don't mean here, just globally), it seems that Starcraft II is already the best RTS ever.

All I currently see is Starcraft with updated graphics : that will not do. RTS have evolved sonce.

So yes, there are solid basis to expect a good RTS, probably less than some of you but I did enjoy Starcraft a lot too, but hoping for something good and already claiming those vids are excellent are a few universes apart.

Thrugg

• Inscrutable
  • Lem
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 05:40:47 AM »
I'm prepared to be the lone (or at least the first of few :)) less excited voice about SC2.

Mostly it's a genre thing for me.  Not the RTS - I like those fine - but the space stuff.  For the same reason, I loved Civ and MoM but not MoO.
I did play through all the SP campaigns of SC1, bought Brood Wars but never installed it.  Will probably buy the sequel too because hey, I can't give Blizzard enough of my money :)

I assume all of you making the erectile references will get today's Ctrl-Alt-Del.

[edit] Interestingly Godji another complaint I usually have about sequels is that they put too much new stuff into them.  If you loved the first one you don't really want a totally different game, you want the same game, just new and exciting enough to make everyone else play again.  Of course maybe that's just me being different again :)  I still keep an old 98 machine around to play DOS games that I consider the pinnacle of computer game development.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:43:38 AM by Thrugg »
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."? - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Kasferatu

• Original Wirtadin
  • Hel
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »
As I was saying to another friend it seems like Blizzard have decided that the Starcraft franchise will be mainly directed at competitive multiplayer gaming.  From that perspective, they don't really want to fix what isn't broken.  Add some units, concentrate on balance, overhaul the graphics.  Anything else? Oh yeah add a SP campaign! Bahm job done.

I'll reserve judgement for now ;)

Lothric

• Thul
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:31:47 AM »
Most of you fanboys would probably have read this already, but it's a blow-by-blow of the gameplay screening they had in Korea detailing a few new units, gameplay changes, etc:

Linkage
D3:
Characters: Karsh (60 Barbarian), Buffy (60 Demon Hunter), Lothriel (60 Wizard), Lira (13 Witch Doctor), Ohm (12 Monk)

Diablo II (1.11 RRM/RWM):
Total 1.10/1.11 Pats/Mats: 59                     Total 1.07 Pats/Mats: 3

Titan Quest (TQIT 1.10 with TQVault):
Completed TQ IT: Appelonius (66 Champion), Artemis (62 Ranger), Karis (63 Brigand), Kratos (62 Harbinger), Hephaestus (61 Juggernaut), Matthius (62 Oracle), Circe (60 Druid), Persephone (62 Spellbreaker)

E-mail: Acuteapathy(at)gmail(dot)com

FrolfFreak

• Freaky Frolf?
  • Ko
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:00:20 AM »
The website linked earlier, www.starcraft2.com, periodically releases game unit and building info.  So far it's Protoss-only, but i don't mind at all, being the Protoss fanboy i am.  Many cool new concepts coming into play, like the War of the Worlds-esque Colossus.

Orbert

• Fal
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
Mothership!

Now that is a big... mother.

Sssith

• Sssexy BeaSsst
  • Sur
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »
The last time I enjoy a RTS, if you can even call it that was Rollercoaster Tycoon.  Before that it was Civ, as in the original version.

I never played StarCraft because I hated Warcraft.  Perhaps I missed out on something but as a general rule I do like running around micro-managing things.