Author Topic: NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer  (Read 1071 times)

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »
I will resurrect this dead forum with the news that the first expansion for NWN2 is announced and tentatively slated for a fall 2007 release. I post this comfortable in the knowledge of 2 things:

Epic levels up to 30, with epic feats and epic spells, included (I called this)

After all the guff I got for not liking NWN2 as much as the original, nobody else posted here that the expansion is on the way, and it's a direct continuation of the  NWN2 OC. :P 

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=559284&forum=121

So, there will be new classes (base and prestige both!) new spells, new feats, epic levels to 30, and the main story picks up where the OC left off.  More details likely to follow.

As I said, since no one else posted this, I can only assume that no one plays NWN2 anymore. :D  I'll still likely get the expansion, assuming I ever stop playing Oblivion and D2 (with gf) long enough to finish the OC that I got really bored of.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Greybeard

• Amn
  • shut-in
Re: NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:47:05 PM »
Hello I was going to post it but figured no one cares. Personally I think they should get NWN2 patched and working well before working on a expansion pack.

Notice the last patch v1.05 was pulled shortly after release, doesn't exactly give me reason or confidence to buy a xpack when they still can't get patches made correctly for the original game.

Like my parents used to say during dinner when I was a kid,"finish whats on your plate before having dessert".

GB
Now playing-NWN

Dream like you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.-James Dean

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:57:39 PM »
They still haven't patched NWN 1 to working order. I wouldn't hold my breath ;-)

Darkness

• Cock Puncher
  • Um
    • http://sendraks.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:26:01 AM »
As I said, since no one else posted this, I can only assume that no one plays NWN2 anymore. 

Maybe those of us who are playing don't have the time to go looking for info on expansion packs?

While I enjoy NWN2, I do share Greybeard's sentiments regarding patching of the game. As much fun as the story is, some of the bugs have severely disrupted my play on occasion to the point where I have just stopped and gone and done something else.

Plus Dawn of War is very distracting.
Private insurance gives the cheapest and best coverage to the well, and the most expensive and least coverage to the sick. This is a classic case of the Inverse Care Law - the poorest and most vulnerable need healthcare the most, but will get least access.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

I find him an engaging conversationalist but I wouldn't say I was "into" him. - Thrugg

"You are the Darkness in which all life dies, my Lord."

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:05:11 AM »
I never got past the beginning of chapter 2 of the OC. It was a good game, and I'll even say it was quite a bit better and more engaging than the first.

But it can't compete with Oblivion and I don't have time for both.

Plus it was incredibly frustrating to have a decent rig and still get craptastic performance even at modest settings. There's just a certain threshold of "turning things down" that I refuse to cross, and at that point I couldn't break 20FPS in the city. Tweaking, adjusting, etc all became an exercise in frustration, so I set the game aside, went back to Oblivion, and haven't regretted it a moment.

Unless the game gets an optimization patch or I get an 8800GTX or 2900XT, I probably won't be getting any expansion.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »
To be fair, I did get going on it for a ilttle while, and had more fun to a point, getting near the end of chapter 2.  I also didn't have issues with performance nearly as bad as many people complained about for some reason...my fps dip in town was pretty much what my Oblivion fps dip in town was.  The 1.03 patch optimized the game a lot more.  The 1.05 patch is now final and live as well.   My problems with the game were basically twofold:

1. The OC was boring. I hate the characters, and nothing I do really matters.  The same thing happens in the end no matter what I do.  I thought this would be KOTOR NWN edition. Not even close.  That was a huge letdown.

2. I wouldn't care if the OC was boring, except for the toolset and engine are too complicated now and there's a very faint trickle of new modules, instead of the flood from the first game. And playing online is a total pain in the ass now.  For those unfamiliar, to play online, you need a pwc file for a module you don't have, and so basically, to play on any game world at all, you need to download a file externally.  One small bright spot is Adam Miller has just released his first module for NWN1, and if I could stop playing Oblivion for five minutes, I'd probably be playing it already.

I buy so few games that I'll probably get this anyway. I just wish more user modules were coming for NWN2, or that the OC wasn't so damn linear. An RPG without freedom is not an RPG.

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry