Author Topic: Someone explain NWN2 combat. I suck unbelievably.  (Read 1196 times)

Gohanman

• Lem
    • http://gohanman.com
Someone explain NWN2 combat. I suck unbelievably.
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
I just started NWN2 and got as far as the first fight (in the tutorial quest). I've now lost it about a dozen times. It seems like no matter what I do, from pausing constantly giving orders to doing absolutely nothing, I take out one of their three guys and they always take out two of mine first anyway.

The game keeps offering me a rematch, making me think I'm *supposed* to be able to win this fight, but nothing I do seems to make any difference in the fight's outcome.

The game suggests that I keep my weaker charcters out of combat and used ranged weapons and magic - which makes sense because two of my characters get KO'd in 1-2 shots - but I don't *have* any ranged weapons and I'm not supposed to use magic.

Is this a matter of "depending on what class you are, this initial fight may or may not actually be winnable", or is there some way to actually, you know, influence how battles go through use of the mouse and keyboard. Depressingly, it seems like the latter since the game's turn based mechanism apparently requires that after a character deals a melee blow they must stand in place long enough for their victim to hit back. Since the computer's characters have more health and stronger melee attacks than mine, I can't possibly win through this exchange of blows. But since the game [seems to] eliminate the possibility of hit and run tactics, I'm not sure what to do.

Is it just impossible to win this first fight as a warlock, or is the tutorial not telling me enough (read: anything) about modes, automating my companions' actions, different attacks, defensive moves or magic, etc.?

Huyghe (Wizard :: 60)
Westmalle (Demon Hunter :: 60)
Bernardus (Monk :: 60)
Corsendonk (Barb :: 60)
Fantome (Witch Doctor :: 60)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:56:08 AM »
Huh. I didn't think it was even possible to lose that fight. Even with a wizard (not allowed to cast spells in the brawl) I still won it.

You ARE equipping the free clubs from the barrel on you and both your companions, right? If so, there's nothing else to be done - just go in and bash some heads...

One thing that does help though - do that contest after you've done the other three contests - you'll be level 2 and thus have a few more HP. And the fighter companion can employ Power Attack to quickly knock the Mossfelds into next week.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Gohanman

• Lem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:42:26 PM »
Leveling must be pretty key then... because I do have the clubs and both my character and the girl get one hit KO'd. The fighter guy doesn't do well 3 on 1.

Tarr

• Bandwagoner
  • Ko
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
Level 1 to 2 is double the hps, so, yeah, it could be pretty key for that combat tutorial :)

"when i'm old and when my eyes have shrivelled up their standard 100 inch screen of the time will be ok.  when my hands wither away the 1 button mouse will finally make sense and the most fun i'll have is pissing myself .. then i'll be boring enough for a mac"  -Timinator

I'm quite sick of having choices of "Bud Light" or "Busch Light".  That's like choosing between my own piss and someone elses piss.  -Dashy

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that.'  As if that gives them certain rights; it's actually nothing more...it's simply a whine.  It's no more than a whine.  'I find that offensive,' it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that,' well so fucking what?"   -Stephen Fry

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
You don't by chance have the difficulty set on "Hard" do you? That would account for the one-hit KO's (which I've never seen, since the Mossfelds are only doing a couple points per hit) - hard difficulty increases all damage you take by 200% while decreasing that which you inflict by 50%.

Might be worth checking to see if you've accidentally (or purposefully? :shock:) changed that setting.

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

Gohanman

• Lem
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:42:54 AM »
I have it on normal. They do 5-7 per hit (I assume that's what the numbers popping up mean).