Author Topic: Are NWN archers fun? Also, any cheese suggestions?  (Read 947 times)

Dave in the basement

• Keeper of the Work Wives
  • Ko
  • I need a drink!
Are NWN archers fun? Also, any cheese suggestions?
« on: December 05, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
Hello all!

I have broken NWN out again, and I am looking for some fun characters, and perhaps a piece of cheese as well.  

If you have played an archer, would you consider them fun?

I have been reviewing the epic build pages and I am looking for a suggestion or two.  Right now I am playing a dwarven wall, but he has barely escaped the prologue.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Dave  :P
D3/Battlenet tag: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daveismyhero-1508/hero/47259747
Steam name: Daveismyhero71

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
  • Me show HIM some trick or two
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
Two of the three most powerful, cheesy archer builds are on the Epic Builds page: Reliable and Rogue Archers. Both become so powerful it's sick.

A third is the "Legolas" archer, my own creation: a strength based, dev-critting archer, who switches to dual-shortswords for close-up work ;-)

Archers are extremely viable in NWN. In fact, I tend to play them almost exclusively :-)

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:16:54 PM »
Yeah, you have a lot of options archer-wise.  AA or non-AA, spellcaster or "melee" class, etc.  I have a Wizard 23/Fighter 2/AA 6 I've taken through HotU a few times that I'm partial to, as well as a Bard 16/Rogue 10 I'm working on.  Called Shot (especially targeting legs) is somewhat underrated but extremely helpful for an archer.  I've even seen Monk/Wizard/AAs, so that they got an AC/speed bonus for not wearing armor, and thus with Haste could outrun any non-Monk classes.
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »
Monk archers can also be deadly (as can cleric archers) with the Zen Archery feat, as well ;-)

Dave in the basement

• Keeper of the Work Wives
  • Ko
  • I need a drink!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 03:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I have to say, a monk archer sounds pretty cool to me.  :D

Dave
D3/Battlenet tag: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Daveismyhero-1508/hero/47259747
Steam name: Daveismyhero71

Lego

• Windows Fanboy
  • Disciple of Freddie
  • Vex
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 03:24:46 PM »
Strat, err... whatever his name is now (love you bud ;-) ) will be along to disagree with me shortly, but the following is true, and I can demonstrate it:

Err... actually I can't remember. But there was something really cool about monk arcane archers. The AA either kicked in and gave you 6 unhasted unarmed attacks/round, or the monk kicked in and gave you 6 unhasted bow shots/round, I can't remember which. But it was pretty cool ;-)

With Zen archery, remember to still take a Dexterity of 14. This will get you all of the bow feats. From there, pump Wisdom all the way, baby ;-) It has a number of incredibly useful side effects, including the fact that wisdom-based armor class boni are not lost when flat-footed ;-)

Enjoy :-)

Pixelated

• Discombobulated Pixie
  • Jah
  • Looking for a recombobulation area
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »
Archers rock. Nuf said. I especially enjoy halfling rogue archers.

However... if you are playing on hardcore difficulty... a pure archer is not viable. But who plays hardcore except in online/persistent-world play? ;)

Aim low. Less chance of disappointment. More chance of a nutshot.

If you don't have idiot friends, it's possible you are the idiot friend.

maxbeedo

• Lum
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:01:28 AM »
The AA levels would kick in and give higher unarmed attack per round, but any high-AB class would do that.  Monk's get attacks every +3 AB instead of +5 like all other classes, so if you take Monk 1/high-AB-class 19, you'd get unhasted unarmed attacks of +19/+16/+13/+10/+7/+4/+1 (seriously).  Dual-wielding Kamas, hasted, using flurry of blows and you can get up to 11 attacks per round.  Unfortunately you can't boost your ranged attacks in this way (still a max of 6 I think).

Thanks, Max. I couldn't remember exactly how that worked ;-)
Currently playing: King of Fighters XIV, ME3 MP (PS3), Bloodborne, Life is Strange
http://psnprofiles.com/maxbeedo
"Terrific, I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax." ----The Last Starfighter
"Has anyone ever tried to kill you before?" "Yes, but I defend myself with my superior wit and guile." ----Sports Night